Friday, May 29, 2009

Forget yourself and get to work!


Memorial Day weekend tugged on my heart strings as I spent a fair amount of time thinking of my sweet Olivia. Since she is buried in San Diego, and we now live in Utah, I decided to go visit the grave of a sweet boy, Aaron, who also passed through this mortal existence unexpectedly at the age of 5. Yvonne, his mother, has become a dear and cherished friend of mine as we have comforted and helped each other during our difficult times.


My doorbell rang that afternoon, and it was Yvonne. She stopped by with a beautiful dragonfly (Aaron's symbol) necklace and pair of earrings that she had made for several moms as a Memorial Day gift to those who had lost children. How thoughtful was that?! I've seen Yvonne's mourning and pain, but she taught me a powerful lesson that day. She turned her longing and sorrow for her son into service and joy to bless others.



I was reminded of the insightful advice a wise father gave to his son while going through a difficult experience, "Forget yourself, and get to work". I thought to myself, I've licked my wounds long enough (not that we ever get over losing a child), but the only way to truly be happy is when we are in the service of others.
Ever since Olivia passed away, I have wanted to do something in her honor. I think it is time that I get to work! I have nieces and a nephew that are fighting for their lives and a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. My sweet niece Lexi passed away with this disease when she was just 14, and I absolutely know that she and Olivia are best buds in the next realm and are incredible guardian angels! I want to ask if you'd be willing to donate any amount to this important cause. As a gift for your willingness to honor Olivia and Lexi through your donation, I would like to offer you something in return.........Olivia's Princess Pearl Bracelet. Before Olivia's funeral, a wonderful friend brought me 3 beautiful pearl bracelets that she had made. One was to put on Olivia, and the other two were for my daughter Aubrey and myself to wear to symbolically keep us connected.



To express my gratitude for your donation, I will send you a delicate young child's REAL pearl bracelet and a poem about how an Oyster turns a painful grain of sand into a beautiful pearl (we can always turn something painful into something beautiful). You can then give this little bracelet to a cherished princess in your life, in Olivia and Lexi's honor. My goal is to have thousands and thousands of little s wearing these bracelets. Every little should feel like a princess! After you make your donation, just e-mail me your address at stacyharmer@gmail.com, and I'll send it out right away!



Please consider supporting this incredible cause where over 90% of every dollar donated goes directly to the foundation for research, care and education.



Making a donation is easy and secure! Just click on the Great Strides Widget on the top right corner of this blog to get to my Great Strides page to make a donation that will be credited to my team. Any amount you can donate is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to forward this on to as many people as you can! Be sure you e-mail me your address (stacyharmer@gmail.com), and I will send you an Olivia's Princess pearl bracelet and poem for a little princess in your life.



May the goodness of God and the healing and atoning power of Jesus Christ bless your life forever!

4 comments:

  1. Stacy-
    I know its little but last weekend, I took teh girls by Olivia's grave and we fed the horses and talked about butterflies. It is little I know but - I wanted you to know we were there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Stefany! It is not little. You have such a beautiful and sweet heart, and I love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to contribute. I have a little princess who I am so grateful for, and she needs a pearl bracelet. You know we would/have donate no matter what, though! We love the Harmer family, and think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, you are just incredible and such an example to all of us. Thank you for this amazing gift. I know that it is in honor of Olivia and Lexi but ALL of us that have C.F. will benefit from your generosity and service and I am so grateful for your goal to help us find a cure (you've already done and given so much)!! I love you so much, Sharlie

    ReplyDelete